Thursday, January 2, 2014

Planning The Year Ahead

For those who may not know, I'm doing a social media fast for a week. My week started yesterday, January 1st, 2014 and I'm not breaking out into a cold sweat at the moment, so I'd say I'm doing well so far.

My main reason for doing this fast is to get myself ramped up for the goals I want to accomplish for 2014. I've already spoken about my accomplishments last year, but I want to do MORE this year! So, the best way to do more is to get rid of the time wasters or web black holes that suck up your time when you could be checking off a goal that you've set for yourself.

Right now as I type, I'm listening to the At the Helm Podcast on Planning for 2014. You should definitely listen to the podcast, but I'll give you a bit of a breakdown on the podcast and how it will apply to my 2014.

STRATEGIES ON HOW TO PLAN FOR 2014:
  1. Review 2013
  2. Personal SWOT Analysis
  3. Creating a Word of the Year
  4. Setting Goals
  5. The Value of Networking 
  6. Create an arsenal for 2014 

1. Reviewing 2013:

  • What Worked: Writing. I put out THREE short stories and wrote TWO scripts! AMAZEBALLS, esp since I did that mid-year! Imagine what I can put out in a full year. IMAGINE I SAY!
  • What Didn't Work: Deadlines, or should I say, not setting deadlines. When I set a deadline and announce it, it does two things. 1. It gives me a concrete goal line to head for. 2. Accountability, once I announce it I have to do it or I come off as a big FAILURE.
  • Satisfaction Score for the Year:  B- I give myself a B- because although I accomplished a lot it took me to mid-year to get off my ass. Although some of my stories I did start earlier without having a deadline I meandered to the finish line instead of sprinting like a BOSS!
  • Review Your Mission & Vision or Create One for 2014: My mission for 2014 is to Create Meaningful Things.

2. Personal SWOT Analysis
  • Strengths: Writing, Creativity, Ideas
  • Weaknesses -Accountability, Deadlines, Follow Through
  • Opportunities -Writing Groups, Conferences, Online Submission/Publicity vehicles
  • Threats - ???


3. Creating a Word of the Year:

This is my word for 2014. I chose this because what I want to do most this year is create. Create literature, screenplays, art, clothing, jewelry, and opportunities!


4. Setting Goals 
  • Write a second story for each of the stories I published in 2013.
  • Write one original story for publication by Valentine's Day.
  • Finish my three current feature scripts in progress.
  • Write two more original feature scripts.
  • Write one original hour long television script and series bible.
  • Purge my home of unnecessary things.
  • Sew at least two outfits per clothing season.
  • Make at least five items of jewelry.
  • Create at least one piece of art for my wall.
  • Teach my 2nd son to read.
  • Read one book a month.
  • Have a positive attitude.
  • Cook a home cooked meal three days a week.

5. The Value of Networking:
Be intentional about networking in 2014, find out who you want in your network and who you don't want in your network.

6. Create an Arsenal:
(suggested in the podcast)

(my personal suggestions)

So how are you planning your year ahead? Leave your answer in the comments, I'd love to hear what you're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Feel free to leave a comment!



blogger template by lovebird