Hi all sorry for the delay in posting. I’ve been in a bit of a whirlwind, since I’ve become recently employed and then whisked off to California my first three days on the job. Even with all the jumble of life, I have been diligently plugging along with the Dolch Sight words.
We are currently on week 3, but I’d like to do a recap of weeks 1 & 2 before I move on to this week.
Week 1: The week went really well, there were only 4 words he did not already know on sight. Then there were 3 words he continued to get stuck on, even on day 2. In order to help him associate the spelling of the word with the word, I drew a picture on the card to help jog his memory. Those words were and, away, & down. At the end of the week I created a sight word bingo card using the words from week 1 & week 2 (as a preview). I was quite surprised that many of week 2’s words he could already identify! After seeing how he preferred to learn the words I modified week 1’s lesson plan for week 2.
Week 2: I modified week one’s lesson plan and did the following:
- Monday - Introduction to the sight words of the week. First we will view the sight words & see if there are any that he can already identify. For the words he cannot readily identify I say the word and then have him use it in a sentence. I then him associate the spelling of the words he finds difficult with a picture by drawing directly on that word card.
- Tuesday - Spelling the word. We repeat the steps for Monday, but after that I then show him the words and tell him to spell it to me. I then proceed to write the word as he spells it in a notebook. I then show him what I wrote and ask him, “Is this right?” Then I ask him what word it is.
- Wednesday - Review. Show all the sight words for the week. See which words the child can identify. Any words that cannot be readily identified, re-do Mon & Tues activity for those words.
- Thursday - Story time. Create a story using the words for the week. Read the story and then have your child try and identify the words they know in the story.
- Friday - More Review. Create a sight words bingo card using the current week and the next week’s word. Play sight word bingo covering all the words.
Week 2 Words:
Week 3 I plan on using the above lesson plan. This week’s words were harder to identify for him and on day 1 he could only identify 3 out of the 10 on his own.
Week 3 Words:
How is your sight words summer going?