Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sight Words Summer

Summer is a great time to introduce new concepts to your child or to reinforce concepts learned during the "school" year.  I've decided that this summer would be a great time to reinforce reading concepts we've practiced during the year.  It is a personal goal of mine for my eldest son to be able to read at a "kindergarten level" by age 4 (his birthday is Jan. 23rd). 

I plan on teaching reading through sight words this summer.  Hass already has an understanding of the phonetics of the alphabet.  However, sight words are words that can not always be sounded out, but beginning readers need to readily know.

I plan on teaching him these sight words during June, July, and August, using the Dolch Sight words list.  I will be teaching the pre-K & Kindergarten Dolch sight words and depending on the rate that we go, maybe the 1st grade words as well.  We'll use a combination of word cards & sight word books to learn and enforce these concepts.  Each week I'll post a lesson plan for the week on Sunday, Wednesday I'll post how the lesson is going for us, and Friday will be a review of the lesson and maybe a weekend activity to reinforce the learning for the week.  Each week I will post resources for you to use if you'd like to join me!

I hope that you will follow along with me and maybe even join the program if your child is ready to start reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Feel free to leave a comment!



blogger template by lovebird