Monday, September 21, 2009

Motherhood Mondays: Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

I recently enrolled the big boy in a weekend Spanish Immersion class that is offered on site at his pre-school. His pre-school previously had weekly Spanish lessons and are now transitioning to a weekly Spanish Immersion class on Fridays. This weekend class will supplement that instruction, which begins in October. Not only do I believe in immersion for teaching a new language, I also believe that exposing a child at this age to a foreign language is the best time to do so. You all can look up the studies on this, there have been a ton. Luckily, for me we also qualified for a discount for the weekend class because he is currently enrolled in one (albeit it's the school's program and is incl. in the tuition price). This all adds up to YAY ME! in my book.

So imagine my surprise when some people expressed the notion that this class would "cost too much", especially if I planned on having him in Spanish Immersion until school age and/or he was fluent. I know some people don't like to talk about money, but here goes...this class is 10 wks. and is $180 for each 10 wk. session, that's $18 a session. On a normal weekday I spend at least that on breakfast and lunch (when I'm working), so why would I not invest that same amount of money in my child? I see people who spend money on loads of things for their children, toys, designer shoes, clothes, etc. but don't invest in their children's future or education. This money is an investment in my child's future and even if it was burdensome for my family to pay this I would try and make sacrifices elsewhere in my life to accommodate my child's education.

It's so funny that I received this response because earlier in the week I was reading an article about an elite high school in Northern Virginia and how currently the enrollment is majority Asian, the reason given was that, "Many Asian families will do whatever they can to support their children's education," said Fairfax school board member Ilryong Moon. "They will garner any and all financial resources."

As parents (shoot as an individual) look at where your money goes because it tells you a lot, where your money goes shows you what your values are. Or as the Good Book says, For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also - Luke 12:34

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good mommy K. I wish we had stuff like this in Memphis. My child needs an outlet....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Feel free to leave a comment!



blogger template by lovebird