Sunday, January 11, 2009

January Jumpstart Project#1

I am so psyched I just finished my first January Jumpstart project: Throw Pillows! Here's the nitty gritty on the project:

Materials:
  • sewing machine
  • fabric (Joel Dewberry's Ginseng Line: Orchid in Chocolate and Geo in Rust)
  • thread
  • re-used pillow stuffing from old throw pillows
  • measuring tape
  • scissors

Time: 1hr. 15minutes (time might be less if you don't have a toddler to entertain!)

I didn't use a pattern or anything, what I did was measure my old throw pillows horizontally and vertically (measure looosely you want to take into account the amount of filling inside). That measurement was 18x18, so I cut four fabric squares that were 20x20, so that I would have a one inch seam allowance on each side. I cut two squares out of two different fabric patters because I wanted to have reversible pillows with coordinating fabrics.


Then, I took the two coordinating fabrics and sandwiched them wrong side out for both and went to sewing, making sure to leave the 1 inch allowance all around and leaving a small portion unsewn for stuffing the pillow.





VOILA!!!

Finished Pillow; the Husband said that my new pillows look better than our store bought ones ever did!


The video of the process!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I thought I will have to get new throw pillows once I get home from Iraq since my dog destroyed the one on the couch. I think I will use your tips.

    Thanks
    Sade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could help, I didn't know you could sew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this all gonna be a learning process. I am buying a sewing machine when get home. I was trying to figure out projects to do and you gave me one.

    I am a craft nut though. My boyfriend just shakes his head. I have all kinds of stuff at home. When I get home I am gonna have to take pictures and blog about all my shenanigans...LOL. Hell I have a letterpress for Godsake. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice... I use to make bedding before my son was born. Thinking about getting back into it, just haven't gottent the motivation yet. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Feel free to leave a comment!



blogger template by lovebird